window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-66064163-1');
Loading Hearings

« All Hearings

This hearing has passed.

UCPI Opening Statements: Tranche 1 (Phase 2) | Day 1

Wed 21 Apr 2021

View publications

This hearing will be virtual and conduced remotely due to coronavirus (COVID-19).

A real-time, audio-visual stream of the hearing will be available on YouTube via the links below. No registration is required. Recordings of the opening statements will remain available.

Live stream: morning session

For privacy reasons YouTube needs your permission to be loaded. For more details, please see our Cookie policy.
I Accept
Download video (MP4, 682MB)

Live stream: afternoon session

For privacy reasons YouTube needs your permission to be loaded. For more details, please see our Cookie policy.
I Accept
Download video (MP4, 350MB)
Hearing Details

Date:

Wed 21 Apr 2021

Time:

10:00 am - 4:15 pm

Tranche:

  • Tranche 1
  • Resources:

    Schedule
    Time/Order Item

    10:00 AM

    David Barr QC (Counsel to the Inquiry)

    11:15 AM

    Break

    11:30 AM

    David Barr QC (Counsel to the Inquiry)

    1:20 PM

    Lunch

    2:20 PM

    Peter Skelton QC (Commissioner of Police for the Metropolis)

    2:55 PM

    Break

    3:10 PM

    Oliver Sanders QC (Designated Lawyer’s Core Participant Group)

    Associated publications

    Filters

    PublicationDateTypeReferenceDocument dateIndividualsHearing dayLink
    Home Office Circular 97/1969 on Informants who Take Part in Crime02 Nov 2020 09:17 PMCircularMPS-072710412 May 1969HN 106, HN 126, HN 200, HN 298, HN 301, HN 303, HN 321, HN 326, HN 336, HN 339, HN 343, HN 344, HN 347, HN 348, HN 351, HN 353, HN 354, HN 45, HN 8021 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 627.01 KB)
    Note for File regarding a meeting at Scotland Yard held to discuss arrangements for the October 27th Grosvenor Square demonstration02 Nov 2020 09:17 PMNoteUCPI000003004502 Aug 196821 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 3.65 MB)
    Note for File regarding a meeting where mention is made of a new 'special squad' set up in Special Branch02 Nov 2020 09:17 PMNoteUCPI000003004629 Aug 196821 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.75 MB)
    Note for File regarding a meeting at Scotland Yard where Dixon details deployment of the 'special squad'02 Nov 2020 09:17 PMNoteUCPI000003076617 Jan 196921 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 3.27 MB)
    Note entitled 'Agent-Handling by F.4. & the Metropolitan Police, Special Branch'02 Nov 2020 09:17 PMNoteUCPI000003090322 Sep 196921 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 4.01 MB)
    Counsel to the Inquiry's opening statement for Tranche 1 (Phase 2)21 Apr 2021 12:23 PMOpening statement21 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.43 MB)
    Opening statement from the Metropolitan Police Service for Tranche 1 (Phase 2)21 Apr 2021 01:18 PMOpening statementMetropolitan Police Service21 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 302.11 KB)
    Opening statement from the Designated Lawyer Officers for Tranche 1 (Phase 2)21 Apr 2021 02:01 PMOpening statementDesignated Lawyer officers21 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 312.28 KB)
    Index to bundle for hearing on 21 April 2021: Tabs A-E + Closed Officer Gist21 Apr 2021 05:01 PMHearing bundle index21 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 156.42 KB)
    Memorandum from Pryde to Commander Ops concerning the National Conference of the Communist Party of England (Marxist-Leninist)21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMemorandumMPS-073069628 Oct 1977HN 1321 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 143.11 KB)
    Home Office Guidelines on the Work of a Special Branch21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMGuidelinesUCPI000000453819 Dec 198421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 8.57 MB)
    Letter from Home Office to Chief Officer enclosing guidelines on the work of a Special Branch, drawn up by the Home Office in consultation with ACPO and the Security Service21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMLetterUCPI000000458419 Dec 198421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 589.09 KB)
    Memorandum signed by CI Kneale regarding changes in SDS staffing21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMemorandumMPS-072415231 May 1974HN 300, HN 35121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 290.1 KB)
    True Spies Transcript Episode 121 Apr 2021 03:26 PMTranscriptUCPI000003184527 Oct 2002Lord Peter Hain21 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 43.95 MB)
    True Spies Transcript Episode 221 Apr 2021 03:26 PMTranscriptUCPI000003422403 Nov 200221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 4.01 MB)
    True Spies Transcript Episode 321 Apr 2021 03:26 PMTranscriptUCPI000003422510 Nov 200221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 43.22 MB)
    Letter from Home Office to Assistant Commissioner authorising the continuation of the SDS in 1974/7521 Apr 2021 03:26 PMLetterMPS-072415603 Apr 197421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 237.37 KB)
    Minute sheet from Special Branch file regarding the continuation of the SDS from 1975 to 197821 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetMPS-073068707 Feb 197521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.26 MB)
    Letter from Home Office to Assistant Commissioner authorising the continuation of the SDS in 1975/7621 Apr 2021 03:26 PMLetterMPS-073067611 Mar 197521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 128.11 KB)
    Minute sheet from Special Branch file regarding the continuation of the SDS from 1979 to 198221 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetMPS-073185801 Feb 197921 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.16 MB)
    Minute sheet from Special Branch file regarding the continuation of the SDS from 1982 to 198621 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetMPS-073734716 Feb 198221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.45 MB)
    Annual Report 197521 Apr 2021 03:26 PMAnnual reportMPS-073009919 Mar 197621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.25 MB)
    Letter from Home Office authorising the continuation of the SDS in 1976/7721 Apr 2021 03:26 PMLetterMPS-073074209 Apr 197621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 126.04 KB)
    Memorandum enclosing SDS Annual Report 1976 authored by CI Craft21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMemorandumMPS-072898006 Apr 1976HN 30321 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 3.93 MB)
    Letter from AC to Home Office seeking formal approval for the continuation of the SDS21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMLetterMPS-073071926 Apr 197721 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 660.42 KB)
    Letter from Home Office to New Scotland Yard authorising the continuation of the SDS in 1977/78 and approving its budget21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMLetterMPS-073071813 May 197721 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 104.44 KB)
    Annual Report 197721 Apr 2021 03:26 PMAnnual reportMPS-072898113 Mar 197821 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 3.13 MB)
    Letter from Assistant Commissioner to Home Office seeking authority for the continuation of the SDS in 1978/7921 Apr 2021 03:26 PMLetterMPS-073068904 Apr 197821 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 489.82 KB)
    Letter from Home Office to Assistant Commissioner authorising the continuation of the SDS in 1978/7921 Apr 2021 03:26 PMLetterMPS-073068821 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 133.08 KB)
    Annual Report 197821 Apr 2021 03:26 PMAnnual reportMPS-072896408 Mar 197921 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 3.74 MB)
    Annual Report 197921 Apr 2021 03:26 PMAnnual reportMPS-072896301 Apr 198021 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.11 MB)
    Annual Report 198021 Apr 2021 03:26 PMAnnual reportMPS-072896223 Mar 198121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.74 MB)
    Letter from Home Office to New Scotland Yard authorising the continuation of the SDS in 1981/8221 Apr 2021 03:26 PMLetterMPS-073187126 Mar 198121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 121.1 KB)
    Annual Report 1981 with letter from Home Office to Assistant Commissioner authorising the continuation of the SDS in 1982/8321 Apr 2021 03:26 PMAnnual reportMPS-072898501 Mar 198221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 3.14 MB)
    Annual Report 198221 Apr 2021 03:26 PMAnnual reportMPS-073090421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 6.28 MB)
    Annual Report 198321 Apr 2021 03:26 PMAnnual reportMPS-073090329 May 198421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 11.28 MB)
    Annual Report 198421 Apr 2021 03:26 PMAnnual reportMPS-073090221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 8.7 MB)
    Memorandum from Inspector Brice to Commander Operations concerning SDS expenditure21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMemorandumMPS-072412217 Apr 197421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 183.79 KB)
    Memorandum signed by CI Kneale concerning SDS expenditure21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMemorandumMPS-072414823 May 197421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 194.48 KB)
    Note to Director of Finance ('F' department) concerning an audit of SDS accounts for 1973/7421 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteMPS-072414507 Jun 197421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 229.17 KB)
    Memorandum signed by CI Kneale concerning SDS expenditure21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMemorandumMPS-072414902 Jul 197421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 189.92 KB)
    Memorandum signed by DI Brice concerning SDS expenditure21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMemorandumMPS-072415014 Aug 197421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 190.84 KB)
    Memorandum signed by Commander Rodger concerning documents shown to Director of Finance 'F' Department during an audit of SDS accounts21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMemorandumMPS-072414704 Sep 197421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 267.33 KB)
    Memorandum concerning SDS expenditure21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMemorandumMPS-072414430 Sep 197421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 189.74 KB)
    Memorandum signed by DI Craft concerning SDS expenditure21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMemorandumMPS-072414330 Oct 197421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 210.05 KB)
    Memorandum concerning SDS expenditure countersigned by HN35721 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMemorandumMPS-072413919 Dec 197421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 202.06 KB)
    Memorandum from Commander Rodger to Ch. Supt. 'S' Squad requesting the set up of a study group to assess the continuing need for the SDS, breadth of coverage and dissemination of intelligence21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMemorandumMPS-073065824 Feb 197621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 217.57 KB)
    Memorandum from Ch. Supt. Watts to Commander Ops concerning the findings of a working party set up to review the current situation of the SDS21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMemorandumMPS-073074515 Mar 197621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 398.17 KB)
    Memorandum from DCI Ferguson concerning information passed from Special Branch to A department regarding ANL rally21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMemorandumMPS-072691301 May 197821 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 304.85 KB)
    Memorandum from DCI Ferguson to DCS Kneale concerning the identification of a suitable location for promotion examinations for SDS officers21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMemorandumMPS-052731014 Nov 197821 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 208.91 KB)
    Special Branch Memorandum from DCI Butler to CSI 'S' Squad seeking a written request by AC to Home Office for an increase in SDS budget21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMemorandumMPS-073186516 Jul 198121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 143.72 KB)
    Special Branch report by CI requesting approval for increase in SDS budget21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMReportMPS-073186402 Nov 198121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 143.92 KB)
    Letter from Assistant Commissioner to Home Office seeking authority to increase SDS budget21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMLetterMPS-073186305 Nov 198121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 230.26 KB)
    Letter from Home Office to DAC authorising an increase in SDS expenditure21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMLetterMPS-073186213 Nov 198121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 96.18 KB)
    Appendix A to Tradecraft Manual21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMAppendixMPS-052759801 Feb 199521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 116.07 KB)
    SDS Tradecraft Manual21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMManualMPS-052759713 Mar 201821 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 56.98 MB)
    Appendix E to Tradecraft Manual21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMAppendixMPS-052760221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 3.14 MB)
    Notes on a meeting held between the Home Office, Security Service and Special Branch in November 196721 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003428413 Nov 196721 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 14.03 MB)
    Letter to Chief Constables from Box 500 'Subversive Activities in Industrial Disputes'21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMLettUCPI000000454529 May 197421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 768.42 KB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between DCI Short, HN45 and Security Service to discuss SDS officer progress and personnel changes21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002919302 Mar 1983HN 106, HN 15521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 20.87 MB)
    Letter requesting that the recipient discuss various points with a source regarding the Revolutionary Communist Party21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMLetterUCPI000002921219 Apr 1983HN 10621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 502.97 KB)
    Document entitled 'The Directive to the Director General of the Security Service', issued by Sir David Maxwell Fyfe, then Home Secretary21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMDocumentUCPI000003426224 Sep 195221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.8 MB)
    Note entitled 'Responsibilities of Special Branch Metropolitan Police'21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003004021 Mar 196721 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 30.55 MB)
    Special Branch letter to Security Service concerning the introduction of a pilot scheme for pro forma reporting and enclosing example routine enquiry and meeting reports21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMLetterUCPI000003087703 Jul 196721 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 4.36 MB)
    Letter from Special Branch Deputy Commander to Security Service providing information concerning potential informant21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003004228 Jul 196721 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 9.16 MB)
    Security Service note for policy file concerning meeting with DI Dixon regarding administrative policy for reports from unpaid informants and paid agents21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003076422 Aug 196721 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 546.91 KB)
    Security Service note for policy file concerning the agreement of Deputy Commander Ferguson Smith to a scheme, previously discussed, being actioned by Inspector Dixon on a limited front21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003004420 Sep 196721 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 10.86 MB)
    Security Service note for file concerning discussion with DI Dixon of information provided by a casual contact of Special Branch officer21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003006409 Jun 196921 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.23 MB)
    Paper entitled 'Subversion in the U.K. - 1972'21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMPaperUCPI000003427901 Jan 197221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 16.41 MB)
    Special Branch letter enclosing minutes of a meeting between Security Service, Commander Rodger, Dixon, Saunders, HN294 and DS Smith held on 13 January 197221 Apr 2021 03:26 PMLetterUCPI000003006618 Jan 197221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 3.71 MB)
    Security Service note for policy file concerning relations with Special Branch in agent running field21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003006701 Feb 197221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.54 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning commentary on and criticism of Special Branch report on Subversion in Industry21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000003125302 Oct 197221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 4.19 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet enclosing Special Branch report on industrial matters and detailing concerns regarding Special Branch coverage of 'Industrial Subversion'21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000003125402 Oct 197221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 12.35 MB)
    Security Service note for policy file entitled 'Relations with M.P.S.B. about Industrial Subversion'21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003125607 Dec 197221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 442.21 KB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning meeting with Ch Supt Watts to discuss continuation of liaison with Security Service following amalgamation of 'X' squad with 'C' Squad and succession in command from Ch Supt Dixon21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000003125716 Jan 197321 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 4.31 MB)
    Security Service note for policy file concerning meeting with DAC Gilbert and Commander Rodger following the Commissioner's ruling that Special Branch were not to run agents in the field of industrial affairs21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003125826 Jan 197321 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 967.21 KB)
    Security Service note for policy file concerning discussion with CI HN294 regarding SDS targeting of IS and the IMG21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003006930 Mar 197321 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.48 MB)
    Security Service note for file concerning meeting between D CH Supt Watts, DCI HN294 and Security Service to discuss targets and coverage21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003004913 Nov 197321 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 748.89 KB)
    Security Service note for policy file concerning meeting between DCI HN294, DI Brice and Security Service to discuss queries from F1B desks21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003005011 Jan 1974HN 299/HN 34221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 10.47 MB)
    Security Service note for file concerning meeting set up by Security Service with DAC Gilbert and Cdr Rodger to discuss inter-service cooperation, targets, sources and investigative resources21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003005130 Jul 197421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 5.18 MB)
    Note entitled 'Organisations currently penetrated by SDS' signed by CI Kneale21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003089630 Aug 197421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.67 MB)
    Security Service note for policy file concerning lunch meeting between Commander Rodger and F6 discussing agent running philosophies in Special Branch and Security Service and concerns over specific operations21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003005411 Nov 197421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 21.13 MB)
    Security Service note for file concerning attendance by Det Supt Bicknell and DCI Kneale at Security Service on instruction from Commander Rodger to discuss handling of agent material21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003005313 Nov 197421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 4.6 MB)
    Excerpt from Hansard regarding 'Subversive and Extremist Elements'21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMExcerptUCPI000003426526 Feb 197521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 643.21 KB)
    Security Service note for policy file concerning meeting with Ch Supt Wilson to discuss unauthorised access involving a member of the Security Service and CI TN003821 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003155925 Sep 197521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 3.67 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning Special Branch sensitivities regarding the existence of the SDS and policy for making requests of Special Branch and passing on information, following a meeting with Ch Supt Wilson21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000003156025 Sep 197521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.57 MB)
    Security Service note for policy file concerning meeting between DCI Kneale, DI Craft and F521 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002745116 Jan 197621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 768.53 KB)
    Letter from Box 500 to DCI Craft re SDS SWP reporting21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMLetterMPS-073070023 Jun 197721 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 80.15 KB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning future discussions on greater coordination between SDS and Security Service in the targeting of agents21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000003005927 Sep 1977HN 29721 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 9.25 MB)
    Security Service note for policy file concerning meeting with Bob Bryan to discuss collaboration between Special Branch and 'F' Branch in identification of targets and allocation of investigative resources21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003077614 Oct 197721 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 6.01 MB)
    Special Branch letter to Security Service concerning draft review of Special Branch responsibilities and deployment and actions taken following an earlier meeting21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMLetterUCPI000003077718 Oct 197721 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 214.24 KB)
    Security Service note for policy file concerning meeting between F6 and Special Branch 'C' Squad to discuss targets and coverage of Trotskyist, Maoist and Anarchist groups21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003077207 Nov 197721 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.57 MB)
    Security Service note for policy file concerning meeting with Commander Watts regarding future joint agent running operations21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003006021 Dec 197721 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 17.54 MB)
    Security Service note for policy file concerning discussion with officer in charge of Special Branch Surveillance Unit regarding the use of Security Service in training MPSB instructors21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003077328 Dec 197721 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.08 MB)
    Security Service note for policy file concerning meeting with head of 'S' Squad to discuss operational overlap, training possibilities and communications security21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003077409 Feb 197821 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 644.35 KB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet requesting coverage of a forthcoming large event21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002877701 Jan 197921 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.44 MB)
    Security Service note for policy file concerning meeting between DCI Ferguson and Security Service to discuss how cooperation between F6 and SDS could be developed21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002883520 Mar 1979HN 1321 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 3.18 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file summarising developments in liaison of F6 and SDS since beginning of 197921 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000003089317 Aug 197921 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 5.17 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning coverage of 11th World Congress of the Fourth International with requests for provision of specific information. Also attached is memorandum to F6 detailing the difference between policy and liaison files21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002879012 Sep 197921 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.82 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning requirement for SDS agent coverage of new anti-nuclear movement under the leadership of Arthur Scargill21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002879613 Sep 197921 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.02 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning routine visit by DI McIntosh to Security Service and the introduction of his successor, Trevor Butler. Discussions included training, cover identities and future coverage21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002881004 Oct 1979HN 35421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 3.4 MB)
    Security Service note concerning brief for SWP National Conference and requirement for information on activities of Walthamstow branch21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002919106 Nov 1979HN 35421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.77 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file of meeting with DCI Ferguson and containing briefs prepared by F721 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002919808 Nov 1979HN 354, HN 8021 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.53 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between H/SDS and F6 to discuss intelligence requirements21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002881222 Nov 197921 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 737.86 KB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between DCI Moss, DI Butler and F6 to discuss SDS officers, provision of information and future requirements21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002881324 Mar 198021 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.61 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between DCI Moss, DI Butler and F6 to introduce new F6 point of contact and discuss SDS officer progress21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002881408 Apr 198021 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 3.08 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning routine meeting between DCI Moss, DI Butler and F6. Discussion included dissemination of intelligence and request for information21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002881601 Aug 1980HN 354, HN 8021 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 4.58 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between DI Butler, DI HN68 and Security Service to discuss problems of mutual interest21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002881703 Feb 198121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.15 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning forthcoming meeting with SDS and requests for information on Anarchist/Alternative activities in London21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002919903 Mar 198121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 11.18 MB)
    Security Service note for file concerning meeting between DI Butler, DI HN68 and F6 to discuss information requests and update on SDS personnel21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002881910 Apr 198121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.84 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning routine meeting between SDS and F621 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002882114 May 198121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 995.36 KB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between DCI Butler, DI HN68 and F6 to discuss information requests from F721 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002882328 May 1981HN 9621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.37 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet enclosing a brief for upcoming meeting with SDS and concerning various requests for information21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002882716 Jul 198121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.52 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning routine meeting between DCI Butler and F6 to discuss exchange of information, Butler's promotion to CI and high standard of SDS officer reports21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002882820 Jul 198121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.11 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet enclosing briefs from various sections in advance of a meeting with Sir David McNee and Mr Kelland21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000003076130 Jul 198121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 307.39 KB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning cooperation between Security Service and SDS in coverage of SWP activities and members21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002752806 Aug 198121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 20.77 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between DCI Butler, DI HN68 and Security Service to allow SDS to meet Security Service desk officers and discuss mutual problems21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002920211 Aug 1981HN 10621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 10.97 MB)
    Security Service note to DAC requesting details of an address for an individual21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002883220 Aug 198121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 799.82 KB)
    Box 500 Report of 1981 ANL Annual Conference21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMReportMPS-072909408 Sep 198121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.16 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between DCI Butler and F6 to discuss targeting and coverage and introduce DS Charles (snu)21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002920317 Sep 198121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 10.78 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between DCI Butler, HN68 and F6 to discuss list of officers and targeting21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002752907 Oct 1981HN 155, HN 8021 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 8.93 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between DCI Butler, DI HN68 and F6 to discuss SDS officers' access to SWP HQ21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002902921 Oct 198121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 48.53 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning brief to F4 officers and SDS on requests for coverage of forthcoming SWP Annual National Delegate Conference21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002883726 Oct 1981HN 155, HN 8021 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 776.28 KB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between HN68, DCI Butler and F6 and the provision of intelligence gathered by SDS on SWP21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002753228 Oct 1981HN 155, HN 8021 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 8.69 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning routine meeting between HN68, DCI Butler and F621 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002753310 Nov 1981HN 155, HN 8021 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 9.02 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning requests for information on South London SWP groups21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002883924 Nov 1981HN 356/HN 12421 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.01 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning routine meeting between DCI Butler and F6 to discuss Security Service briefs and SDS personnel changes21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002884025 Nov 1981HN 155, HN 8021 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.4 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning request for additional information on newly formed SWP district in north and west London, following provision of SDS report21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002919215 Dec 1981HN 12621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 5.21 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning routine meeting between DCI Butler, DI HN68 and F621 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002884216 Dec 198121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 843.18 KB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning forthcoming meeting with SDS and requests from F7 for information on SWP and Red Action21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002884415 Feb 198221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.72 MB)
    Liaison file letter asking the DAC to pass on thanks to Colin Clark after a helpful meeting21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMLetterUCPI000002751808 Mar 1982HN 8021 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 7.36 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning visit to SDS and meeting between Dave Short, Martin Gray and F6 to discuss list of assets and future plans21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002751915 Mar 1982HN 106, HN 126, HN 155, HN 356/HN 124, HN 80, HN 9621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 40.27 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning request to SDS for intelligence on a member of SWP21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002877131 Mar 198221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.09 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet for liaison file concerning receipt of SDS information on TOM21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002877202 Apr 1982HN 9621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.07 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning coverage of the SWP in London and future requirements21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002877511 May 1982HN 15521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.76 MB)
    Note recording details of a SYS discussion at the SDS with Dave Short and HN6821 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002877613 May 1982HN 126, HN 15521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.47 MB)
    Security Service note concerning upcoming meeting with DCI Short and HN68 to discuss intelligence requirements and coverage21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002877907 Jun 198221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 965.34 KB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning contact between HN106 and Assistant Military Attaché at the Russian Embassy21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002878014 Jun 1982HN 10621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 3.9 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet enclosing a brief for F6's upcoming meeting with SDS21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002878115 Jun 198221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.11 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting with HN68 and, later, DCI Short to discuss current interests21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002878318 Jun 1982HN 8021 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.59 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting at New Scotland Yard to discuss contact between HN106 and a Russian Military Attaché. Attendees included DCI Kneale (A/CO), DCS Craft and DCI Short21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002878418 Jun 1982HN 10621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.3 MB)
    Note to DAC requesting additional details on individual, League for Socialist Action21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002878601 Jul 198221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 10.66 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between Short, HN68 and F621 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002744612 Jul 1982HN 106, HN 15521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 5.05 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet enclosing a brief for upcoming meeting with SDS and concerning various requests for information21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002878826 Jul 198221 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.77 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between HN68 and F621 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002751530 Jul 1982HN 15521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 860.29 KB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning a list of points to be raised at a forthcoming meeting with SDS, including requests for identification from photographs21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002879409 Sep 1982HN 10621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between HN68, Dave Short and F6 to discuss intelligence requirements and SDS officers21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002879516 Sep 1982HN 106, HN 15521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.78 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between HN68, Dave Short and F6 to discuss liaison between the two services and progress of SDS officers21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002879925 Oct 1982HN 10621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 6.95 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between HN68, Dave Short and F6 to discuss coverage and progress of SDS officers21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002880212 Nov 1982HN 10621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.48 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning request of SDS for provision of information on member of RCP21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002880324 Nov 1982HN 10621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.13 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning request of SDS to obtain a copy of 'Real Freedom' by Kate Marshall21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002880503 Dec 1982HN 10621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 658.49 KB)
    Note stating that information has been requested from HN155 about SWP records via HN6821 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002744810 Dec 1982HN 15521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.99 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting with HN68 regarding concern of potential compromise to UCO by cover employer21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002880410 Dec 1982HN 8021 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.18 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet enclosing a brief for upcoming meeting with SDS and concerning various requests for information21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002880719 Jan 198321 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.18 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting with DCI Dave Short and HN68 to discuss intelligence requirements21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002880926 Jan 1983HN 15521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.81 MB)
    Security Service loose minute concerning member of the RCP21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002921024 Feb 198321 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 245.21 KB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning two meetings between SDS and F6 for routine exchange of views and update on SDS personnel changes21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002921429 Apr 1983HN 10621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.92 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning F7B suggestions for target areas for an underemployed SDS source21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002921808 Jun 198321 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 589 KB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between DCI Short, DI Barber and Security Service to discuss various areas of interest and request to debrief HN106 following his withdrawal21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002921909 Jun 1983HN 10621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.03 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet concerning upcoming meeting with SDS and enclosing list of SWP matters for comment/further information21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002745406 Jul 1983HN 15521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 11.59 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet for policy file enclosing brief for coverage at upcoming RCP conference21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002922107 Jul 198321 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 865.32 KB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between Short, Barber and F621 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002753918 Jul 1983HN 10621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 13.32 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between DCI Short and F6 to discuss the method by which HN88 could become established in the Hackney/Stoke Newington and other SDS officer updates21 Apr 2021 03:26 PMNoteUCPI000002922624 Aug 1983HN 10621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 3.23 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning discussion between DCI Short and F6 regarding SDS officers and coverage including HN19, HN106 and HN8521 Apr 2021 03:27 PMNoteUCPI000002922705 Sep 1983HN 10621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.08 MB)
    Document entitled 'Debriefing of a Revolutionary Communist Party (RCP) Source', regarding the debriefing of HN10621 Apr 2021 03:27 PMDocumentUCPI000003428017 Oct 1983HN 10621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 984.61 KB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet enclosing brief for forthcoming meeting with SDS on information requirements relating to SWP21 Apr 2021 03:27 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002923018 Oct 1983HN 15521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 3.66 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet enclosing brief for forthcoming meeting with SDS21 Apr 2021 03:27 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002923119 Oct 1983HN 10621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.94 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet enclosing request for intelligence from SDS source21 Apr 2021 03:27 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002923226 Oct 1983HN 15521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 1.41 MB)
    Security Service Minute Sheet enclosing request for SDS input on marriages of convenience between members of the RCP21 Apr 2021 03:27 PMMinute sheetUCPI000002923329 Nov 1983HN 10621 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 775.73 KB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning visit to SDS and meeting with Dave Short to discuss coverage and SDS intelligence21 Apr 2021 03:27 PMNoteUCPI000002872815 Dec 1983HN 15521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.18 MB)
    Security Service note for liaison file concerning meeting between DCI Short, HN85 and F6 to discuss HN85's area of deployment21 Apr 2021 03:27 PMNoteUCPI000002906030 Dec 198321 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 3.49 MB)
    Newspaper article 'Brittan Defends Special Branch Right to Spy on Strikers', The Times, 29 January 198521 Apr 2021 03:27 PMArticleUCPI000003426829 Jan 198521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 781.91 KB)
    Excerpt from Hansard HC Debate on 'Security Service Bill' 15 December 1988 Vol 143 cc. 110721 Apr 2021 03:27 PMExcerptUCPI000003426915 Dec 198821 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 479.41 KB)
    Excerpt from Hansard HC Debate on 'Security Service Bill' 15 December 1988 Vol 143 cc. 10621 Apr 2021 03:27 PMExcerptUCPI000003427015 Dec 198821 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 529.42 KB)
    Excerpt from 'Defence of the Realm' by Christopher Andrew regarding the role of the Security Service in relation to industrial action21 Apr 2021 03:27 PMExcerptUCPI000003426301 Jan 200921 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 243.7 KB)
    Excerpt from 'Defence of the Realm' by Christopher Andrew regarding a definition of 'Subversion' and investigation of subversion in industry21 Apr 2021 03:27 PMExcerptUCPI000003426401 Jan 200921 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 276.73 KB)
    Excerpt from 'Defence of the Realm' by Christopher Andrew regarding the SPL, an interdepartmental group to study subversion in public life21 Apr 2021 03:27 PMExcerptUCPI000003426601 Jan 200921 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 491.55 KB)
    Excerpt from 'Defence of the Realm' by Christopher Andrew regarding the Thatcher Government and Subversion21 Apr 2021 03:27 PMExcerptUCPI000003427401 Jan 200921 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 266.84 KB)
    Excerpt from 'Defence of the Realm' by Christopher Andrew regarding the early Cold War21 Apr 2021 03:27 PMExcerptUCPI000003427601 Jan 200921 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 259 KB)
    Excerpt from Chapter 7 'Enter Mr Black', Undercover: The True Story of Britain's Secret Police by Paul Lewis and Rob Evans, 201221 Apr 2021 03:27 PMExcerptUCPI000003427201 Jan 201321 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 419.17 KB)
    Contents page of book entitled 'Special Branch: A History 1883-2006' by Ray Wilson and lan Adams, 201521 Apr 2021 03:27 PMBookUCPI000003427101 Jan 201521 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 530.08 KB)
    Network of counter terrorism units and intelligence units from Counter Terrorism Police Website https://www.counterterrorism.police.uk/our-network/21 Apr 2021 03:27 PMWebsiteUCPI000003427701 Jan 202021 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 213.77 KB)
    First Witness Statement of Security Service Witness Z21 Apr 2021 03:27 PMWitness statementUCPI000003435022 Mar 202121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 2.41 MB)
    Gist of T1 witness statements received by the UCPI from officers who have real and cover name restriction21 Apr 2021 05:00 PMGistUCPI0000034307HN 109, HN 21, HN 241, HN 302, HN 341, HN 355, HN 4121 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 17.37 MB)
    UCPI Tranche 1 (Phase 2) Opening Statements | Day 122 Apr 2021 08:51 AMTranscript21 Apr 2021Download (PDF, 274.25 KB)
    Go to Top