6 Aug 2019
The Inquiry’s opening statement hearings and Tranche 1 (Phase 1) evidence hearings took place from Monday 2 November 2020 to Thursday 19 November 2020. Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the hearings were virtual and conducted remotely.
The Tranche 1 (Phase 2) evidence hearings are due to take place from 21 April to 14 May 2021. A directions hearing to discuss the arrangements for the next set of evidence hearings is scheduled for 26 January 2021.
Future open hearings that are able to happen in-person in a hearing room, when social distancing requirements are no longer in place, are expected to take place at 18 Pocock St, London, SE1 0BW. This is the hearings venue formerly used by the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse.
The Pocock Street venue provides the following:
- Capacity for up to 16 legal teams in the hearing room;
- Seating for up to 60 members of the public in the hearing room;
- Additional capacity for up to 40 members of the public and media in the adjoining overflow room serviced by a live-link transmission of proceedings (with a short time delay);
- Rooms for witnesses to meet their legal teams and for private consultation;
- A small room set aside for the media;
- Access and facilities for those with mobility issues;
- Publicly available Wi-Fi throughout the venue.
Read more in our hearings protocol.